Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Have habit of masturbation. Foreskin never retracted. Is it erectile dysfunction?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
i have a habit of masturbating and i have been doing it for almost 10 years now. i am 26 years of age now. i am very regular at masturbating almost twice and sometimes thrice everyday watching porn. since my foreskin has never retracted and my penis head has good amount of skin hanging to it ahead, when i started masturbating, i had a different style of doing it. instead of moving my skin up and down grabbing my penis, i used to hold my penis in my hand and with my thumb i used to rub the hanging skin on my penis head. this used to stimulate me and after sometime i used to ejaculate. now possibly because of this, may be my penis has gone weaker and now i don't get the required hard on. even on watching porn it is difficult to get required hard on. even when i get it , it is so momentarily that even before reaching vagina it comes down and i m not able to insert. till now i didn't have sex, but recently for the first time i tried having intercourse, i couldn't. otherwise i am physically fit with no other health problem. i am very active sportsmen and do all kinds of physical activity in my day to day life. Now i am not sure what exactly is the problem. is it erectile dysfunction or is it because of my foreskin not going back at all. How should i go about curing this problem and what all exercises or medicines i should take. kindly help.
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your are suffering from masturbation addiction

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query,

Well since you had been doing chronic masturbation, it is possible that you may be suffering from masturbation addiction which is more of a psychological condition rather than a physical condition. In some small way, the sensitivity of your foreskin must have been diminished which could explain the fact that physically stimulating it will not still yield any fruits. You limbic system is the major role player in getting you arouse during a sexual act and so the fact that you had been addicted to masturbation has also altered the natural way that your sex should normally work.
Long term masturbation can often result to the present symptoms you are facing including the fact that it might play a very disturbing role in your future relationships with a woman.
What you can do now is try abstaining from any sexual encounters including masturbation so that your limbique system might readapt. By a while I mean a couple of months. You need your system to reboot itself then make sure your only next sexual encounter is with a woman after some close affection with her (body stimulation) before you can penetrate her sexually. If your condition persist despite this, then it is high time you see a psychiatrist or sex specialist for assistance.

Hope that is helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have habit of masturbation. Foreskin never retracted. Is it erectile dysfunction? 22 hours later
Thank you Dr..
thanks for your reply, but i need certain amplifications to what you have said.
Sir you said I am suffering from masturbation addiction and the remedy you told is to stay away from this for a couple of months. I want to know if by doing just this will i be alright, will i be able to get required hard on next time when i have sex with a women? secondly sir, since my foreskin doesn't go back, i want to know will it pose some problem in my sexual life. Will I be able to satisfy my partner or should i consider some treatment for it. Is it possible that the veins in my penis have gone weak and so I am not getting the hard on. should i consider some medication for that. I will be posting some pictures of my penis for your reference. I am actually very nervous now as i am going to be married soon. will I be able to satisfy my partner?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks to me like phimosis/paraphimosis

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for updating.

Now that I was able to see the photos, I am having a different point of view as regarding the retraction of your foreskin. I was not initially understanding properly what you were trying to describe. You seem to be suffering from phimosis or paraphimosis which is a penile disorder often seeing in adults or adolescent who practice vigorous sexual activities and are uncircumcised. The images show a typical case of either of those conditions. Normally phimosis is not an emergency but paraphimosis requires emergency treatment at the urological department. It has to be reduced by a trained health care practitioner aiming to establish your foreskin to its normal position. There are various methods of reduction and the choice will depend on who you will see at the emergency department. If reduction fails, then a surgery needs to be performed.
Circumcision is the definitive treatment (which would also help prevent UTIs).
Be rest assured that it is not a permanent condition and can be treated. You will return to your normal sexual life as soon as situation is under control. But if too much time is wasted, blood vessels that are responsible for penile erection might stop receiving sufficient blood and may cause permanent erectile dysfunction (do not be alarmed as I do not think that you are already at that stage).
Just make sure you see a doctor soon enough.

Hope this helps further and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have habit of masturbation. Foreskin never retracted. Is it erectile dysfunction? 43 minutes later
Thank you dr..
Thanks a lot for your advice. . But I am a bit nervous now as to what should I do. You said it might be phimosis or paraphimosis, can you please confirm as to what it is. Also you said there are many ways to reduce it. Can you please tell in brief as to what all ways are there and suggest me the best when I go to some doctor, then I can refer it to him. Moreover doc you said this is seen in adults who have vigorous sexual activities. Does that includes masturbation? And doc I would like to tell you that presently, I do get hard on when I watch porn, but it is not on its own first of all. I have to rub it with my hand to get it. More so it is not that hard also now. I told you I could not insert when I had my first sexual encounter with woman. The erection remains till the time I am rubbing it and it is in my hands. If I leave it free it goes down. So it does not stay for long enough. But yes I do get simulation and start getting erection when I think of having sex with someone , but it does not stay for long. Does it help you in further diagnosis of my problem. What is exactly my problem and what stage I am in. I am actually afraid now. Please suggest me a course of treatment or how should I go about it so that I can discuss it with some doctor here whenever I go to him.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think it is pathologic phimosis

Detailed Answer:

Main treatment involves reduction with fingers by a doctor or a trained health care practitioner ( I would not be able to give you the procedure completely online but it is a safe and good method). Other methods include use of drugs and as a last resort surgery.
The different methods are:
- Manual method: use of index fingers by a doctor
- Osmotic method: substance with a high solute concentration can be used to osmotically draw out fluid from the edematous/swollen glans and foreskin prior to manual reduction
- Puncture method: Requires use of a 21 to 26 gauge needle to puncture openings into the foreskin to allow edematous fluid to escape from the puncture sites during manual compression
- Hyaluronidase method: enhancement of puncture method with injection of 1ml aliquots of hyaluronidase
- Aspiration method: A tourniquet is applied to shaft of the penis
- Vertical incision: If non of the above methods work, then this will be used
- Emergent circumcision: This is the last resort, to be performed by a urologist to achieve necessary reduction of the phimosis/paraphimosis. If you are a muslim or a your religion does not permit circumcision, then I am afraid that you not be able to benefit from this method if above fails.
You can see that all the methods are successive in case one fails, the next method is applied. They are all equally good and have their own advantages and disadvantages. So the method choice, will depend on the doctor you see and which one he is comfortable with.
Yes masturbation can be termed a vigorous sexual activity.
Your ability to get hard or fairly hard is purely psychological and poor blood supply to your penis which could be as a result of the phimosis you are having.
The first thing you should do is go to the clinic or hospital, then after a doctor has examined you will first of all confirm my suspicion, then they will choose the best method available to get your problem solve.
There is no need to panic as if your erections are still present, then it simply means that there is not yet a complication.
There is really no much different between phimosis and paraphimosis as the treatment methods are similar.
I also suggest you present your problem to the doctor you will be seeing without pointing out the fact that you are suffering from phimosis/paraphimosis, so that you can allow him/her the opportunity to point out their own cause. Just trust in their evaluation.

Hope this helps further.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have habit of masturbation. Foreskin never retracted. Is it erectile dysfunction? 39 hours later
Thank you doc...
Thanks for your advice.
Doc I want to know whether these methods which you have told involve any complications or any side effects and how much time does this treatment takes? When can I be normal and resume my sexual life.
moreover doc what could be the reasons of me not getting sufficient erection. I get hard but for a few moment and then it goes. what can I do to improve this. Do you suggest some medicines for it.
And doc , I told you about the way I used to masturbate. Now because of that I get orgasm only when my penis head is rubbed and not just by rubbing along the shaft. But that i suppose would be a problem later on because intercourse would involve rubbing of shaft only to get ejaculations. I am worried whether I will be able to ejaculate inside my partner or not.
kindly help.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please avoid medications at your age

Detailed Answer:

I rather not encourage take medications at this your age. You are still young and your sexual life should be at its optimum. I told you, you need some time to require from your chronic masturbation which comes with its own effects as the one you are experiencing now.
What I am positive about after seeing your pictures is the fact that you are suffering from phimosis/paraphimosis. The methods are I suggested to treat this are successive i.e if one fails, your doctor will take the next until one is successful. They are non-invasive or not XXXXXXX i.e safe and you should not be worried about that.
You should envisage circumcision if you want to finally end up having a better sexual life. You will be able to ejaculate inside your partner ones you are fixed.
Just go to the hospital as the more you waste time, the more you might be getting worst. It is better you see a doctor now so that you can be treated.

Hope this helps further.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have habit of masturbation. Foreskin never retracted. Is it erectile dysfunction? 2 days later
Thank you doc...
Thanks a lot for your advice
I just want to know if I can further discuss this case with you later on when I go to a doctor.
If yes then how will I everefer it to you. Pl tell
Since I am in armed forces it will take me some time before I could see some doctor. .. in that case how will I refer this case to you?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can just go to my page

Detailed Answer:

You are welcome and I was glad to be able to help.
You can just go to my page at WWW.WWWW.WW or email me directly YYYY@YYYY if you ever wish to contact me in the future.

Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have habit of masturbation. Foreskin never retracted. Is it erectile dysfunction? 1 hour later
What is the reference that I should give to you to tell you about this case if I mail you or go to your page....?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Query Id : 0000

Detailed Answer:
You may indicate that query ID. Do mention the case how ever as I always remember most of my cases and it is easier to just go back to this same query and reopen it after it is closed.
After closing out discussion, there will be a link to this query indicating that you may reopen the query (I think that will be easier for both of us if you decided to stay on the same topic).

Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Child Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor