Have green phlegm in cough, sore throat and body aches. What are over the counter medicine?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: I have a harsh cough producing green phelm. Can't get warm even after bath and hot tea. I do not have a fever. I ache all over, have headache, and sore throat. I am very tired, but can not sleep. My doctor can't see me until next week-and nothing over the counter has helped with symptons.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: may be the flu Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic Based on the symptoms of productive harsh cough, it is possible that you have bronchitis. Bronchitis can be viral or bacterial, in most cases it is viral. It would be associated with the other symptoms that you have stated such as headache, chills, sore throat and aches. Viral Bronchitis can occur in the setting of a typical viral upper respiratory tract infection or with the flu. In light of the the fact that you are experiencing general body aches and pains, fatigue, chills, it is possible that it is the flu especially since this is flu season. The major way of differentiating the flu from the cold is the severity of the symptoms. With chills a person feels cold and shivers and tries to warm up. This chilled feeling however is the body attempting to reset itself at a higher temperature because of some illness. Instead of trying to warm up, you need to take paracetamol to help prevent the temperature from increasing. You should take 1g every 4 to 6 hours. The paracetamol would also help with the aches and headaches. You can consider the use of sprays or gargles to reduce the pain in your throat. These may contain antiseptics combined with analgesics You need to drink alot of cool (not hot) fluids and rest as much as possible. The use of a mucolytic would help with the cough , though it is quite possible other medication would be needed. Examples of mucolytics are :bisolvan, mucomyst, guiatuss, some formats of robotussin, mucotec. It can take 1 week to 10 days for the symptoms to abate but if they become intolerable before your doctor visit you may need to go to the ER especially if the flu is a possibility. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions