Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Have geographic tongue and fissures, have a transverse crack with teeth intentions. take Vitamin B. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 787 Questions
I have geographic tongue and fissures. The fissures on my tongue are getting worse. I have one that runs down the center of my tongue and is quite deep. I have several other cracks starting. I currently have a transverse crack starting across the front portion of my tongue. My dentists says for my age (42 yr. old healthy female) it is one of the worst cases he has seen. My tongue seems swollen to me, with teeth intentions from my teeth on the sides of my mouth. The geographic tongue started about 10 years ago. The fissure part about 4 years and has very steadily gotten worse. It is to the point that I embarrassed to open my mouth when I am talking to people up close. And since I am a teacher, I am going to have to get over that. Please help and tell me that there is something to do for this. I take the B vitamins as recommended. Is there anything that can be done to the damage already done to my mouth? To stop it from getting worse? So you believe there is something that can be done for my tongue?
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 1 hour later
Hi there,

I have gone through your reports and medical history and I would like to inform you that Geographic tongue is a chronic inflammatory condition and usually it is asymptomatic and it may manifests due to a range of exacerbating foodstuffs, illness and stress.

As you have mentioned you had hysterectomy and gall bladder removal done, wide range of hormonal changes in the body may also contribute in worsening the geographic tongue.
Deficiency of zinc , vitamin B , pernicious anemia , juvenile diabetes are known to be associated with this condition so I would suggest you to get the blood tests done to evaluate the exact cause and to rule out the diagnosis.

In addition, you can get the BIOPSY done to confirm the malignancy.

Consult an oral surgeon with reports to get an opinion.

There is no specific treatment but the condition can be suppressed by many ways like;
Foods that cause irritation, burning or slight swelling of the tongue include tomato, eggplant, walnuts, cheeses, spicy foods, sour foods, mint, citrus so please avoid it.

Steroid ointment such as cortisone products may be applied topically for symptomatic treatment.
Triamcinolone Acetonide Dental Paste USP, 0.1% can be applied to affected area at night to try and help.

Burning may also be reduced by antihistamines.

I hope this information helps you.

Dr.Farah Hussain.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have geographic tongue and fissures, have a transverse crack with teeth intentions. take Vitamin B. Suggest? 6 hours later
I have had all the above mentioned blood work done, various autoimmune disorders, and had a biopsy done. All of these were normal.
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 18 hours later
Hello there,

It's great news if biopsy reports are good and no malignancy detected.
The condition will subside with time if proper care is taken.

As mentioned, avoid irritating foodstuffs and continue all the measures and topical applications (as I stated above). Continue with vitamin B supplements.

In addition start with vitamin C lozenges daily for a month - this helps in tissue repair.
Avoid alcohol; tobacco smoking and chewing; carbonated drinks and coffee.
Drink lot of water and keep yourself hydrated.

Hope this helps.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor