Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Have genital herpes. How to treat it, suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
i am women of 39 i have just been told i have genital herpes.
im devasted. im divorced of one year,and have been with my patrner now of four months.
i have never had anything like this before. the more i read about it the more i feel its the end of the world. can you give me any advice and how i may have got this
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 22 minutes later
Genital herpes is mostly sexually transmitted.You have quite possibly gotten it through sexual contact.However,its not the end of the world.It can be treated with medicines.You will need a course of antibiotics.Antiviral drugs like acyclovir etc need to be taken for 7-10 days depending on the grade of the disease.Your partner needs to be treated also.One important thing to remember is that the infection may recur in the future in case of dormant disease.Hence suitable precautions need to be taken.
I suggest that you avoid sexual contact for some time until you are healed.And start taking the antiviral medicines.
without further delay.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have genital herpes. How to treat it, suggest? 53 minutes later
my own gp told me my partner would not need to be treated
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 19 hours later
Since this is a sexually transmitted disease,its recommended that the partner be advised about the possibility of infection,and hence, treatment.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor