Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Have fungal skin infection on forearms, knees and near toe area. Infected on some part of body. Suggest the medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
Hello Dir,

I have got fungal skin infection on my forearms, knees and near toe area. It is itching and getting scales as well. Also infected on some other part of the body where the itching occurs. kindly prescribe the medicine.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
one needs to sure that it is a fungal infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) How long you have been having this?
2) Did you apply any cream over it & what was the response ?
3) Do you sweat a lot on these areas where you have infection ?
4) Are you allergic to any thing ?
5) Is the problem bilateral (that is on both arms & legs) ?

Answer to these questions would help me understand your problem better.Even a close up picture of the lesion would help me further. So if you can send me a picture of the lesion ,I would appreciate.
You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.You can also email the same to YYYY@YYYY with “ATTN: ” in the subject line.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
With history what you have submitted ,there seems to be two possibilities.
Either it could be a fungal infection or a allergic reaction(eczema) .

If it is a fungal infection I usually prefer anti fungal tablets like tab terbinafin daily for at-least 4 weeks or tablet fluconazole weekly dose for 4 weeks.
Along with this I also prefer giving topical anti fungal creams like terbinafin cream or ketoconazole cream.

If it is a allergic reaction or an eczema then I would prefer a steroid cream like clobetasole prpionate cream with neomycin cream over the lesion.I prescribe oral steroid only if the lesions are very sever .

In both the conditions you can take oral antihistaminic tablet like cetrizine (10mg) once daily to control itching .

If you can reply me with the answers and the pictures, I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor