Have frozen shoulder and loss of normal lordosis. What should be done?

Dr. Vineet Saggar

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Dear Doctor - My wife had frozen shoulder in her right hand (Age 52 years). Her X XXXXXXX of the Cervical spine(AP & Lateral) reports are - Alignment of the cervical vertebrae is normal. There is loss of normal lordosis. Changes of cervical spondylosis are seen in the form of marginal osteophytes and unco-vertebral degeneration. C5-6 and C6-7 disc spaces are reduced. Pre-Vertebral space appears normal. She had unberable pain particularly in her shoulder area. In addition to that she had symptoms of vericose vain in the same hand. At present she had short course of pain killer for about 10 days. Now not taking any medicine. Managing with some hot water fomantation. She find it difficult during night time only particularly sleeping poser.
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Pain in shoulder area could be result of frozen shoulder or C5 nerve root irritation due to C5-C6 disk or osteophyte complex. Since in your wife's case thee pain is occurring at night, it points towards nerve root irritation as the cause. However if we want to be sure of cause of pain you should get nerve conduction studies (NCV) done on affected side. This will tell us whether nerve root is being compressed or not. If these studies are normal then probably it is due to frozen shoulder. The treatment of this condition is generally analgesics and physiotherapy. If NCV is suggestive of nerve root compression then probably she will required MRI cervical spine to see extent of nerve root compression. Treatment of nerve root compression is also conservative in most of the cases
hope that helps.
Dr. Vineet XXXXXXX