Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

126 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have frozen shoulder and loss of normal lordosis. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Neurologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 173 Questions
Dear Doctor - My wife had frozen shoulder in her right hand (Age 52 years). Her X XXXXXXX of the Cervical spine(AP & Lateral) reports are - Alignment of the cervical vertebrae is normal. There is loss of normal lordosis. Changes of cervical spondylosis are seen in the form of marginal osteophytes and unco-vertebral degeneration. C5-6 and C6-7 disc spaces are reduced. Pre-Vertebral space appears normal. She had unberable pain particularly in her shoulder area. In addition to that she had symptoms of vericose vain in the same hand. At present she had short course of pain killer for about 10 days. Now not taking any medicine. Managing with some hot water fomantation. She find it difficult during night time only particularly sleeping poser.
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 4 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.

Pain in shoulder area could be result of frozen shoulder or C5 nerve root irritation due to C5-C6 disk or osteophyte complex. Since in your wife's case thee pain is occurring at night, it points towards nerve root irritation as the cause. However if we want to be sure of cause of pain you should get nerve conduction studies (NCV) done on affected side. This will tell us whether nerve root is being compressed or not. If these studies are normal then probably it is due to frozen shoulder. The treatment of this condition is generally analgesics and physiotherapy. If NCV is suggestive of nerve root compression then probably she will required MRI cervical spine to see extent of nerve root compression. Treatment of nerve root compression is also conservative in most of the cases
hope that helps.
Dr. Vineet XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon