Have frontal baldness. Prescribed TAZZLE-tadalafil to improve libido. Will taking finast will affect baby in the womb?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Dear Dr. XXXXXXX
I am 60 years old healthy individual, without any ailment so far, have frontal baldness. Should I take XXXXXXX 1 mg daily. Will it be safer-I read that side effects may be impotence. 2ndly, I have been advised to use TAZZLE-tadalafil 20 mg daily to improve libido. I hope both drugs do not have any reaction. Pl tell me-in case I take finast 5mg daily to improve health of prostate, will this drug be disastrous for the baby in mother's womb.
I shall appreciate and bless you for this guidance.
XXXXX
0000
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 23 hours later
Hi Mr XXXXX,
You seem to be suffering from advanced stage of androgenetic alopecia as your hair fall includes frontal, temporal and crown area. In such cases medical therapy in the form of minoxidil solution or oral finesteride would not be effective. In your case, hair transplantation would be the best option.
Tadalafil is a drug used in erectile dysfunction and also in cases of erectile dysfunction with prostate enlargement. Finesteride 5 mg is also used in enlarged prostate. Though as such these two drugs are said to have no interactions but these should be used concurrently only after taking an advise from your consulting doctor.

Finesteride 5 mg in long term can be associated with loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, decreased ejaculate, impotence etc. these side effects are said to be reversible.
Finesteride use is not indicated in a pregnant female or a female planning conception as can harm the male fetus. However intake of finesteride by a male would not cause any problem to his child in mither's womb.

Hope that answered your query.
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 23 minutes later
wife being younger, is demanding. Out of sidnafil or tadalafil, what do you recommend, what brand and strength mg.
Hi Mr XXXXX,
Tadalafil is preferred over sildenafil for its longer duration of action. So now a days doctors mostly prescribe tadalafil.
As far as strength of the drug tadalafil is concerned, it depends whether you want to use it daily or take it when needed for erectile dysfunction.
If daily use use is required to take care of prostate and ED both then a dosing of 5 mg daily is preferred.
If it has to be used as and when needed then optimum dose is 10 mg and depending on the response it can either be increased to 20 mg or reduced to 5 mg.
I feel 20 mg daily dose is too high. But if the dose has been prescribed by a qualified urologist then you may continue the same in his supervision. As ED with or without prostate enlargement actually lies more in urologist's domain. In India self prescription and drugs taken on a friend's advise is quite common. If you started the drug on self prescription, please withhold its use and consult an expert urologist. As far as brand of a drug is concerned, more or less all brands offer equal efficacy. So one should not fuss about the brand.
Hope that helped.
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 19 minutes later
Dear Dr. Pathak,
Thanks for your advice. How one knows/symptoms of prostate problem. I walk 10 km daily and in fit health. Probably its in genes, my Dad is 95 fit and fine. Some idiot recommended Finast, and I started taking it. Maybe there is no problem with me.
I hate to see doctor and never seen except dentist.
I take 10mg Tazel daily, for past few days. Before that, I was taking Manforce/Suhagra 100mg just before the act,which is also my weakness. Can I take 10mg Tazzle and 50 mg Sildenafil, just before the act. I tried and was able to achieve complete drain out for me and partner.
By the way my 30 years girl is impregnated, just a month. I shall be contacting you on more such secretive issues and others.
Regards & God bless,
XXXXX

Thanks for writing back.
Below mentioned are features for enlarged prostrate-

change in urinary stream
A feeling of incomplete bladder emptying
Difficulty starting urination
Frequent urination
Urgency to urinate
Getting up frequently at night to urinate
A urinary stream that starts and stops
Straining to urinate
Continued dribbling of urine
Returning to urinate again minutes after finishing

If you are having any if these features consult a urologist. I do not think there is any need of using tadalafil and sildenafil together. If tadalafil has to be taken daily 5 mg is optimum dose. Again a urologist is more experienced in offering any advise regarding erectile dysfunction or libido issues.

Congratulations to would be parents!