Have frequent bowel movement problem and feeling bloated. What should be done to get relief?

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My father is having a problem with his Bowel movement. These are the symptoms: Very soft stool, not runny but sort of like peanut butter, very hard for his body to push it out even though it is soft, feeling of not being emptied after a bowl movement, feeling of being bloated, he is not really having acid reflux or indigestion, but his stomach gurgles a lot,he has no pain, and it is getting very hard for him to feel that feeling of when it is time to go have a bowl movement, he has to just go and try to make himself go. He stopped eating Beef and Pork 5 Months ago. Sometimes he says he feel like he is falling or losing his balance. He has high Cholesterol and takes medication for it. He also takes a 81 milligrams aprin and water for high blood pressure. Sometime his stomach feels bloated. What could possibly be wrong. He is 49 years old. Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The reason of having frequent bowel movements and bloating could be-
1.Irritable bowel syndrome- IBS can be helped by eating a proper diet and taking medication.
2.Crohn's Disease or UC- These are autoimmune gut disorders. This causes sores in the intestines, stomach, and/or throat which causes blood and mucus in the stool.
Other causes include- Lactose intolerance or gluten sensitivity, intestinal polyp or gastritis.
Please visit a gastroenterologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in this case so that proper treatment can be initiated early.

For temporary relief start giving him a low fiber (no more then 2 grams), and a low resin diet. That means that he should avoid nuts, popcorn, anything with seeds, or caffeine.
Till that time, he may try the following
1. Take over the counter lactobacillus preparation and yoghurt with the meals.
2. Drink plenty of fluids, eat light, do not stay hungry but eat simple things like toast, porridge, cereals, crackers, banana, rice, etc.
3. Avoid dairy products, which can worsen diarrhea (due to a temporary state of lactose intolerance).
4. Drink more fluid (except milk or caffeinated beverages) to replace fluids lost.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN