Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Have freezing neck causing pain and limited motion. Tested negative for spinal meningitis. Taking injection helps. Cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
Hi my name is XXXXXXX
I have a friend who is suffering from her neck starting to freeze up and causing pain. She has extreme limited range of motion up or down or side to side. They have tested her for spinal meningitis and it was negative. They are treating her with injections into the 4 main disk areas a side at a time trying to give her relief. She is unable to sleep because once she lies down she can no longer move her head and has to have someone lift her head to help her move. Is there any tests she should ask her Dr. to perform or should she go see a specific Dr. What kind of diseases could these be symptoms for and what should she be asking her Dr.? Any rheumatoid diseases with this kind of symptoms?
Thank you for your feedback. XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cervical spodylosis is a close possibility

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query with diligence. I am sorry for your friend.

It seems like she most likely has a Cervical Spondylosis. This I say because of the pain, limited range of motions, spinal meningitis being negative.

Yes, you should ask her treating doctor for an initial x-ray of the cervical region. If need be, an MRI of the cervical spine should be done to rule out any disc bulging and spinal cord stenosis.

Disease of the cervical vertebral bone along with nerve entrapment at exiting places in the cervical spinal cord can cause such symptoms.

Ankylosing spondylosis is a rheumatoid kind of disease that can cause this too. However, the possibility of this is less likely in your friend.

It is better to consult a spinal surgeon or back surgeon for the same.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have more queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor