Have foul smell vaginal discharge and itching. Took treatment for yeast infection. Worrisome

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I first noticed a bad odor 3 weeks ago and then douched 3 times. When that didn't work I thought I might have had bv so I bought this treatment for bv and that didn't help so I got a three day treatment for a yeast infection and I still have this smell. Minor itching, and unusually dry, white pasty discharge that is sometimes yellow. I have been taking probiotics for about a week now, the smell is slightly better but I'm worried. I've never had a smell last this long before and it is so embarrassing.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

Important aspects of your query are:
• 23 year old female
• Complaints of: foul smell vaginal discharge, itching.
• Treatment for yeast infection and with probiotics with partial infection.

From your description, it appear that you are having yeast infection, known as vaginal candidiasis.

For treatment following measures will help you:
-Wear loose cloths, so it does not irritate surrounding area.
-Keep your skin (around vagina) clean and dry.
-Avoid scratching as it has tendency to spread nearby parts of skin.
-Wash clothes every day while you are infected.
-Apply over-the-counter antifungal creams that contain clotrimazole (candid). But it should not have steroids. Also use tab flucanazole once in a week for 4 week (total 4 tabs) after prescription from physician.
-For excessive itching you tablet like cetrizine may be helpful.
-You may also require treatment with antibiotics if there is superimposed bacterial infection.
-Most important: If you are sexually active, then bring your partner in treatment, even if he is asymptomatic, to prevent recurrence of infection.

Wish you good health.