Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

169 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have foul smell vaginal discharge and itching. Took treatment for yeast infection. Worrisome

Answered by
Dr. Ashish Mittal


Practicing since :2004

Answered : 1856 Questions

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I first noticed a bad odor 3 weeks ago and then douched 3 times. When that didn't work I thought I might have had bv so I bought this treatment for bv and that didn't help so I got a three day treatment for a yeast infection and I still have this smell. Minor itching, and unusually dry, white pasty discharge that is sometimes yellow. I have been taking probiotics for about a week now, the smell is slightly better but I'm worried. I've never had a smell last this long before and it is so embarrassing.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.

Important aspects of your query are:
• 23 year old female
• Complaints of: foul smell vaginal discharge, itching.
• Treatment for yeast infection and with probiotics with partial infection.

From your description, it appear that you are having yeast infection, known as vaginal candidiasis.

For treatment following measures will help you:
-Wear loose cloths, so it does not irritate surrounding area.
-Keep your skin (around vagina) clean and dry.
-Avoid scratching as it has tendency to spread nearby parts of skin.
-Wash clothes every day while you are infected.
-Apply over-the-counter antifungal creams that contain clotrimazole (candid). But it should not have steroids. Also use tab flucanazole once in a week for 4 week (total 4 tabs) after prescription from physician.
-For excessive itching you tablet like cetrizine may be helpful.
-You may also require treatment with antibiotics if there is superimposed bacterial infection.
-Most important: If you are sexually active, then bring your partner in treatment, even if he is asymptomatic, to prevent recurrence of infection.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Clotrimazole

doctor1 MD

I just recently had ringworm on my thigh and I treated it with clotrimazole lotion and tea tree oil. I did that for 4 weeks, but now I am getting these light red dry patches on my legs. They don t itch, like the ringworm did, but I am wondering if it s still that, or if it may be something else.

doctor1 MD

hello I was wondering how coud I remove post hyper pigmentation on the base of my penis , I went to a clinic and was told it was a rash(equivalent to a womens yeast infection I guess) and was told to use A cream of clotrimazole cream 1% and it helped remove the rash but now I got light spots( had em for about 4 months now) and was hoping for something to reduce or remove them?

doctor1 MD

I m a 32year male, generally healthy. Literally over a night or two, I have developed a red, raised rash on the skin between my butt cheeks. I originally thought it was haemorrhoids and so tried zinc oxide and lidocaine cream, after bathing them in salt water, but felt it started to spread further onto the cheek and up towards my scrotum. I therefore thought it could be fungal nappy rash (due to sweating and hot weather) and so bought clotrimazole 2%, which I have ude for 2 days now, but to little improvement. Any thoughts please? Thank you!

doctor1 MD

i have clotrimazole and betamethasone dipropionate lotion 30 mL my PCP doctor gave it to me to use around my ankles as i had a red itchy rash around both ankles. the lotion did take the rash away. i have gotten a red rash on my face on the right cheek that is also very itchy. my makeup only conceals it a little, as it more noticeable under lights or when i am outside. i take cholesterol medication and blood pressure medicine, also for anxiety i take generic version of xanax .025 2 to 3 times a day. Would this lotion be safe to try to use on my cheek.

Thanks very much. I am 75 years old and my name is Marcy.

doctor1 MD

My daughter is overseas and has asked about a rash she has developed: First one, now two, salmon-colored slightly raised patches of approximately 2 and 3 centimeters, respectively. One is just anterior to her left axilla, the other is on her...

doctor1 MD

Hi For the past week or so my fingers, in between my thumb it’s red and my next finger it’s red on the side and my middle finger its red on the side of it is red and itchy and has a few tiny cuts on one finger. I don’t know how I got this? If it’s...

doctor1 MD

Hi For the past week or so my fingers, in between my thumb it’s red and my next finger it’s red on the side and my middle finger its red on the side of it is red and itchy and has a few tiny cuts on one finger. I don’t know how I got this? If it’s...