Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

197 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have food and drug allergies, low BP, headache and fluid discharge from ear. What is going on?

Answered by
Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 7153 Questions

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Good Morning.... I am a 51 year old woman in menapause. BP always @ 98/75. Have mediteranean anemia all my life. Weekly B12 shots help me keep my energy level. Many food and drug allergies. to the point of anaphylatic shock. On half tab bisprolol for irreg. heart rate. My symptoms first started a month ago, with a week of constant humming in the left ear. Was prescribed antibiotics and cleared after three weeks. Now, I have been experiencing a headache for the past week with tension in neck and shoulder. Went to a message therapist thinking it could be tension. The last three days I woke up every morning with dizzy spells, vertigo and nausea which settles by mid day. I have to be careful which way i move my head or it gets worse. By the end of the day I have a headache again. This morning fluid in the same ear which had the constant humming a month ago. Any input would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later

Thanks for your query.

The various ailments that you have mentioned in your medical history- celiac disease, chronic fatigue, allergies, low BP, asthma, acid reflux and joint pain seem to be unrelated to the headache, tension in the neck, ringing of ear, dizzy spells and vertigo.

The symptoms of ringing of ears, vertigo in particular position of the head, discharge of fluid from the ear appear to be due to some pathology/ disease process in the ear/ ears. You need to visit an ENT specialist for examination and investigations. The inner ear is responsible for hearing as well as maintaining balance and equilibrium.

An audiometry (hearing tests) and certain tests for the inner ear, which maintains balance and equilibrium, need to be done.

The diagnosis and management can subsequently be done.
So, visit your specialist as soon as possible.

In case you want to know anything else, I will be glad to answer.

Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests ,  

Recent questions on  Audiometry

doctor1 MD

Hi, Since past 7 months I am experiencing Tinnitus in my right ear with partial hearing loss. Though I have consulted many doctors & taken advised medication for the same (no cancer detected in Brain MRI, Audiometry Tests show almost 60% hearing loss, Complemina Retard continued for almost 3 months), yet the problem still persists. I do not feel any nausea / headache / dizzy / anything else. I wanted to know if this is curable at all and if so then what are kinds of treatments options available ? Thanks in advance. Regards, Nitin

doctor1 MD

i am bank employee aged 52 years. i had severe migrain problem and consumed quite dosage of vasograin. my left ear hearing capacity has reduced a lot. audiometry results shows 40% loss. bioicobal forte inj is suggested of 3 doses of 2 ml. how this injection helps in reducing hearing loss

doctor1 MD

My 83 year old father has hearing loss. His test results show :

Impedence audiometry : 'A' type tynup with NR

Audiological Interpretation : Right ear - medsev,

Left ear - Mod SN HL

He is very confused on the type of hearing aid to be used. Can you reccommend?

doctor1 MD

The problem of ear clogging and pain started whenever I used cell phone for a long duration for an hour or so . Now my ear starts clogging even when the just pick up the cell phone and hear a sound. Of late I feel my ears clogg also when I talk over the landline . This was not the case earlier. My audiometry results show normal only a slight abnormality in the left ear but otherwise my ears are healthy per ENT doctor . Please advise

doctor1 MD

I ve been having some dizziness . The most powerful incident was while driving about a month ago and the whole visual field of the road and trees were spinning sideways like after a hangover. I haven t had a hangover in 35 years and do not...

doctor1 MD

What surgical options exist for a severe autophony problem in the right ear ? I have been seeing an ENT doctor for the past year, and had consults with two inner ear specialists this year, and all they keep telling me is to get a hearing aid...

doctor1 MD

I have a feeling of being in a tunnel. my ears feel like they need to pop but won't and I can hardly hear people on the phone. what is the best over the counter medicine to take. YYYY@YYYY