Have food and drug allergies, low BP, headache and fluid discharge from ear. What is going on?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Good Morning.... I am a 51 year old woman in menapause. BP always @ 98/75. Have mediteranean anemia all my life. Weekly B12 shots help me keep my energy level. Many food and drug allergies. to the point of anaphylatic shock. On half tab bisprolol for irreg. heart rate. My symptoms first started a month ago, with a week of constant humming in the left ear. Was prescribed antibiotics and cleared after three weeks. Now, I have been experiencing a headache for the past week with tension in neck and shoulder. Went to a message therapist thinking it could be tension. The last three days I woke up every morning with dizzy spells, vertigo and nausea which settles by mid day. I have to be careful which way i move my head or it gets worse. By the end of the day I have a headache again. This morning fluid in the same ear which had the constant humming a month ago. Any input would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Hello

The various ailments that you have mentioned in your medical history- celiac disease, chronic fatigue, allergies, low BP, asthma, acid reflux and joint pain seem to be unrelated to the headache, tension in the neck, ringing of ear, dizzy spells and vertigo.

The symptoms of ringing of ears, vertigo in particular position of the head, discharge of fluid from the ear appear to be due to some pathology/ disease process in the ear/ ears. You need to visit an ENT specialist for examination and investigations. The inner ear is responsible for hearing as well as maintaining balance and equilibrium.

An audiometry (hearing tests) and certain tests for the inner ear, which maintains balance and equilibrium, need to be done.

The diagnosis and management can subsequently be done.
So, visit your specialist as soon as possible.

In case you want to know anything else, I will be glad to answer.

Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E