Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Have folliculitis on testicle region. Can I use betadine on it?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
can you use betadine on my testicle region. I Thinlk I may have a slight case of folliculitis or some infection in that area, There are traces of Puss and was wondering of the topical or liqued version of this would help
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 14 minutes later

Betadine is use on fresh open wounds and usually during dressing of excised abscesses. Betadine does not have a good penetrating effect on skin infection such as folliculitis. Appropriate topical antibiotics creams like clindamycin, azythromycin and even oral antibiotics like doxycycline could treat the folliculitis. You can get clindamycin cream OTC. How ever you are still advised to get a primary care doctor to take a closer look at the infection in case it is of fungal origin.

Hope you get well soon and let me know if you got further questions.

Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have folliculitis on testicle region. Can I use betadine on it? 7 minutes later
Been taking Doxy for 8 days with No effect, I just took a Gram of azythromycin earlier today for another infection I have going in, I will ask about the clindamycin cream. Do you know what are the gram sizes its available in ?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 13 minutes later
Thanks for updating,

You could get clindamycin cream/gel as 20mg dosage (2%) or 40mg. Mupirocin cream could also be used as an alternative.
Fungi could be responsible hence you will require topical antifungal cream such as ketokonazole or miconazole etc.
Doxy 100 or 200 can be taken upto 21 days for effect to take place.

Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor