Have fluttering feelings in heart. Echo cardiogram came normal. What could be the reason?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: I am a 60 yr. old female and sometimes my heart flutters. I noticed it first when lying down in particular but in more recent years it can happen anytime. Usually for just a few seconds but had one episode recently in a department store when I leaned down to look at something and it lasted several seconds. In 2002 I had an echocardiogram done which showed: Aortic Valve:Trileaflet; Normal, Mitral Valve: Normal, Tricuspid/Pulm. Valves: Normal. Then Doppler Color Flow showed: Aortic Valve: Normal, Mitral Valve: Trace MR, Pulmonic Valve: Normal, Tricuspid Valve: 2+ TR. Should I be concerned about these episodes?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
The most common cause for such type of heart flutters is atrial fibrillation or called as AF.
This disorder increases the chance of stoke in a person because it causes pooling of blood in upper chamber of heart called as ATRIA.This pooling of blood results in formation of clots which may go to vessels of brain resulting in stroke.

The causes of AF include hypertension,coronary artery disease,previous heart attacks and other non medical conditions like over active or under active thyroid.However many times no definitive cause is found.
The common warning signs are weakness,shortness of breath and fluttering of chest.
In extreme cases acute chest pains or fainting may occur.
Many times people don't show any symptoms.

Although you were tested for heart earlier but that was way far 10 years back.
I would advise you to consult a cardiologist and get yourself tested properly.
Make sure your thyroid status is normal.

If it is AF,it can cause serious damage to heart and brain resulting in heart attack or heart failure or stroke if not diagnosed and treated earlier.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks