Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Have fluid filled itchy red rashe on armpit. Is there any way to cure this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
I have red rashes with clear fluid cluster right next to my left armpit. It was not painful, tingling or itching. However it started to itch this morning, a little tingling too. What kind of rash do I have? How to treat them? Is there a way to send you pictures?
Also about 5 red spots like that on my back near my upper spinal cord as well.
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 13 hours later
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.
Ive gone through the details and the image provided.
The condition appears to be herpes zoster or (shingles). It is a viral infection of skin and nerves.It can cause severe pain during or after subsidence of rash.
Treatment of the condition consists of antiviral drugs like Acyclovir or valacyclovir 3-5 times a day.Also anti inflammatory analgesic drugs like ibuprofen or tramadol is helpful.Neuroprotective agents like methylcobalamine is also indicated .
A visit to dermatologist will confirm the diagnosis and will provide prescription for required drugs.
A soothing lotion like calamine or aloe Vera lotion is effective in decreasing the symptoms.
Earlier the antivirals are started better is the outcome.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
Dr Sudarshan
MD dermatologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have fluid filled itchy red rashe on armpit. Is there any way to cure this? 8 hours later

Thank you for your detailed answers.

What causes shingles or herpes zoster? Is it contageous? How long does it last?

I went to Carenow before I wrote question to you and their doctor prescibed Prednisone 10mg tablets and Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP 0.1%. Will these two take care of the problem assuming these spots are shingles?

Do I need a doctor to prescribe Acyclovir and valacyclovir? Or are these OTC?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 15 hours later
Thanks for feedback.

Shingles or herpes zoster is a viral infection.It lasts around 1-2 weeks.It is not contagious but if you have any babies less than 5 years then keep them away.As they can catch it from you.
Prednisone and triamcinolone cream can be taken but taking acyclovir or valacyclovir is important .You need to start them as early as possible.They are prescription drugs and need to be taken by prescription.You need to visit your GP or dermatologist to start them.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor