Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Have fluctuating blood pressure. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1306 Questions
I would like to see a specialist about "rollercoaster"blood pressure.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 3 hours later
Respected Ma'm
A rollercoaster blood pressure or a fluctuating blood pressure (going high and low frequently) needs following considerations.
1. If you are checking blood pressure (BP) in same circumstances; relaxed, sitting for at least 5 minutes, no tea/ coffee/ smoking in last one hour & nearly at same time of day? If you will check BP in stressful state (physical or mental) it will be higher. If you will check BP standing and lying down they will be different and more in lying down posture. If you had tea/coffee etc, it will be higher than usual.
2. If your instrument/ instruments are correct and standardized? If there batteries are fine?
3. Alcohol use and some neurological disorders are known to cause fluctuating blood pressure. Discuss with your GP about these issues.
4. Atenolol is not known to act for complete 24 hours. If you are taking both tablets at same time, you are likely to have a period (~20 hours after the dose) when effect of atenolol will be minimal and hence a high BP.
5. Body fluid status is a crucial thing in old age , especially when you are on drugs like chlorthalidone. Please see if there are large variations in your daily liquid intake.
Hope this gives some insight into your problem. Feel free to discuss further.
Sukhvinder XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor