Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Have flu like symptoms with sore and swollen gums. How to treat this?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 9127 Questions
I have flu like symptoms. (headache, body ache, slight fever).. but the unusual thing for me is Sunday night my gums became sore and swollen.. My teeth are very healthy and i don't have a history of plaque buildup. this is the first time i've had swollen gums.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
It is usual to have swollen gums during a generalized viral infection. Most of the times, this swelling is self limiting and does not require any treatment. It gradually subsides on its own after the viral infection subsides.
Avoid smoking, use iodine mouth wash and listerine mouth wash to keep the area clean and to prevent any superadded infections.
Avoid hot and spicy foods.
You can take some vitamin B complex and Vitamin C supplements orally for an early recovery.
In case the swelling is persistent then you need to consult a dentist for a direct examination to detect the cause and specific treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have flu like symptoms with sore and swollen gums. How to treat this? 6 hours later
Hi Dr. Tayal,

Thanks for getting back so quickly! Wandering how many days typically will it take for the swelling to go down in the gums?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If you start with the adequate vitamin B complex and C supplements and take care of the oral hygiene then the swelling should subside in a week or so.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor