Have flaky rashes on face. Not cured by mild eczema cream. Any effective treatment?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a rash on my face that is spreading. it started as a tiny red spot, then a few more appeared. it looks like eczma but it doesnt itch. sometime it starts to dry up and become flaky and then the next day
it can go back to a group of tiny red spots again. its not sore and it doesnt weep, but i have had it now for 3 months and like is say the affected area is gradually getting bigger. ive tried moisturising and ive tried very mild eczma creams but they have made no difference. i dont suffer from any kind of acne or similar conditions.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
From your description the most possible causes in my opinion are-
1. Erythema multiforme.
2. Dermatitis- due to skin infection, allergy,etc.
3. Dry skin- Xerosis.
4. Eczema.
A direct examination by a dermatologist is the best way to get it diagnosed.
Most simple rashes improve with gentle skin care and avoiding irritating substances. You can help the improvement by
* Avoid scrubbing your skin.
* Use as little soap as possible. Use gentle cleansers instead.
* Avoid applying cosmetic lotions or ointments directly on the rash.
* Use warm (not hot) water for cleaning. XXXXXXX dry, don't rub.
* Eliminate any newly added cosmetics or lotions.
* Leave the affected area exposed to the air as much as possible.
* Try calamine medicated lotion.
* Hydrocortisone cream (1%) is available without a prescription and may soothe many rashes.
If the rashes become more of purple rather than red then you must consult a dermatologist immediately.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.