• question-icon

Have fibromyalgia. Having jaw pain and headache. Suspected for muscle spasm. Proper diagnosis?

Posted on Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a life lift 8 months ago and now I'm having pain in my jaw and can't open my mouth more than an inch or so. The pain started about two weeks ago while I was in Florida. I've also been have headaches over my eyes and forehead. My dentist said it is not TMJ. He thinks it is muscle spasms. He said to eat soft food for two weeks and if that doesn't help, he can try botox and maybe a splint. What do you think. I also have Fibromyalgia.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
The pain in the jaw that you have is likely to be related to a muscle spasm. Stress and presence of osteoarthritis in the TMJ can also cause such problem.
You can get your some oral muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside prescribed from your physician for symptomatic relief.
Doing a hot fomentation in the area of the joint will also be helpful.
In case the spasm is persistent then trying botox injectons will be helpful for a short term relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
You said that I might try botox injections. What type of doctor would be the best to be able to administer the botox?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Hello.
For getting the botox injections, you can contact your dentist or a dermatologist.
Wishing you an early trouble free recovery. Do accept the answer if there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon