Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Have fibromyalgia. Having jaw pain and headache. Suspected for muscle spasm. Proper diagnosis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10375 Questions
I had a life lift 8 months ago and now I'm having pain in my jaw and can't open my mouth more than an inch or so. The pain started about two weeks ago while I was in Florida. I've also been have headaches over my eyes and forehead. My dentist said it is not TMJ. He thinks it is muscle spasms. He said to eat soft food for two weeks and if that doesn't help, he can try botox and maybe a splint. What do you think. I also have Fibromyalgia.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain in the jaw that you have is likely to be related to a muscle spasm. Stress and presence of osteoarthritis in the TMJ can also cause such problem.
You can get your some oral muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside prescribed from your physician for symptomatic relief.
Doing a hot fomentation in the area of the joint will also be helpful.
In case the spasm is persistent then trying botox injectons will be helpful for a short term relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have fibromyalgia. Having jaw pain and headache. Suspected for muscle spasm. Proper diagnosis? 2 hours later
You said that I might try botox injections. What type of doctor would be the best to be able to administer the botox?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
For getting the botox injections, you can contact your dentist or a dermatologist.
Wishing you an early trouble free recovery. Do accept the answer if there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor