Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Have fibroid rumors that have caused bleeding and cramping. Recommended partial hysterectomy. Guide?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
I'm 35, have two fibroid rumors that have recently caused excessive bleeding and slight cramping for a month and half. The first fibroid was diagnosed in 2008 and since has doubled in size to a small orange and I have developed a second one about the size of a golf ball. Obgyn recommendation is a partial hysterectomy, just removing my uterus. She says I'm not a candidate for laproscopic or vaginal due to the size of my uterus which she says is normal size but too large for that procedure. Unsure what to is scheduled for next week...
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later

I have read your query with diligence.

The size of one fibroid is that of a small orange. The other one is about the size of a golf ball.

We could try a conservative approach here. The operating surgeon could only remove the fibroids and leave the uterus intact. You are still 35 yrs old. This needs to be taken into consideration.

Fibroidectomy or removal of the fibroids can be done through vaginal approach. An average skilled OBGYN specialist could do this procedure easily. I am not sure if your treating doctor has the required experience and skills to perform the surgery. If vaginal fibroidectomy is not possible, we can also go through the open abdominal route, remove the fibroid and retain the uterus in its place. Laparoscopy is not possible in your case.

Please re-think on your decision. Perhaps, speak and request your treating doctor to change the surgical procedure to a more conservative one.

In my view, partial hysterectomy is not the right choice for you. The uterus should remain inside (to the most part of it) in you for a few more years.

I would like you to take a wise decision.

Take care and get well soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor