Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Have fibroid on muscular wall of the uterus. Started heavy bleeding after c-section. Any cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
I am 31 years old and had a C-Section delivery 6 months back. My periods have now started yesterday. It is extremely heavy ( 8 pads in 12 hrs!) but not painful. Is this normal? Is it ok to take traneximic acid tablet? I had myeomectomy at the time of my CS but the doctor could not take out one fibroid wich was 9*9*9 cm. I have been told by my OBGYN than this fibroid is on the muscular wall of the uterus and hence cannot be removed without doing a hysterectomy. Will i have to live with such heavy periods the rest of my life till menopause?
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 39 minutes later
Your main problem here is the fibroid. Although,periods for the first time after delivery is usually heavy, the problem in your case is probably the fibroid. The symptoms of a fibroids usually regress during pregnancy but after pregnancy the size may increase again.You have mentioned that your have a intramural fibroid,almost 9*9cm and that is pretty big according to standards. Such a big fibroid may be difficult to remove without doing a hysterectomy. You can control your periods and the heavy flow with the help of hormones and tranexemic acid tabs. Try Tab Pause 1 tab three times a day from day day1-3 of your cycle.If that doesnt control the bleeding, then do another ultrasound after 6 months. Compare the previous reports of the usg with regard to size of the uterus. Even if the myomectomy is attempted, future pregnancies may be high risk. Another option is an MIRENA insertion but that would be useful only if the uterus isnt too big.
My advice, try medication like tranexa/progesterone first.Do an usg after 6 months. Then refer back to your doctor for assessment.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor