Have fever, sore throat with swallowing difficulty. What could be wrong?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello I Have a fever along with sore throat and when I swallow my spit my left ear hurts.
What's going on with me?
Also I have some form of congestion in my throat.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the query

After going through your description I do feel you are suffering from acute pharyngitis.

Acute pharyngitis is the sudden onset of inflammation of the throat, characterized by throat pain, fever, enlargement of the lymph node in the neck, etc. The pain in the ear during swallowing is due to the common innervation. Do not worry! With appropriate intervention this can be take care of.

You can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa moist and relief from pain
2. An antibiotic such as a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime
3. Anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the relief of pain.
4. Do gargles with povidone iodine solution for the speedy recovery.
5. Once you consult your doctor, request for a throat swab.
6. Also, avoid smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Also my urine is very dark yellow.
Will it heal itself on its own?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 9 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

The urine is concentrated and yellow because of dehydration. Due to sore throat, I presume you are not consuming adequate water, when the intake is less, the urine becomes concentrated and yellow. Drink plenty of warm water you will definitely be alright.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon