Have fever, sore throat and stuffy nose. Took clindinimyson. Looking for proper cure

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My 12 yr old has been sick for 8 days now. She started with fever as high as 104, and sore throat and stuffy nose. Strep test was negative but doctor put gave her antibiotic shot and 10 day course of Augmentin. Fever comes and goes, throat looks awful, swollen gums and canker sores... Called the doc yesterday and he changed antibiotic to Clindinimyson... Just seems to be the same if not worse... Please help!!!
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 10 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a throat swab sent for culture and sensitivity.

2. Since the antibiotics seem to be having no effect, the following conditions will also have to be ruled out:
a. Kawasaki Syndrome.
b. Scarlet Fever.
c. Serum Calcitonin
e. Liver Function Tests
f. Urine Analysis
g. ECG
h. USG Abdomen

4. If she is looking unwell, less active, dehydrated or toxic, you may admit her.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.