Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Have fever, cold, ringing ears and memory loss. What am I suffering from?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
My ears have been full and ringing for about three days. Yesterday I developed a fever and chills (off and on).
Had certain memory loss during Thanksgiving yesterday. There was alcohol involved, but I am not a regular drinker and have never experienced any kind of memory loss before. Memory seems fine today.....maybe we celebrated Thanksgiving a little too much!
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms you have described could be the features of upper due to blockage of the Eustachian tube following URTI.

Transient memory loss in elderly following alcohol consumption is normal and nothing to be alarmed about.

Do not worry! Follow my instructions you will be alright.

1. Drink plenty of warm water –this helps in improving the blood supply and hence reduces the edema around the Eustachian tube.
2. Avoid smoking/chilled beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover completely – all these will cause dryness of the mucosa and impair the normal ciliary movements in the nose and Eustachian tube.
3. Use saline nasal spray to open up the Eustachian tube, followed by steam inhalation – the former and the latter will help in relieving the edema around the Eustachian tube and thus help in opening up the clogged ears and tinnitus.
4. If the symptoms persist consult a good ENT specialist for a complete evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor