Have fever and canker sore appeared on tongue. What could be this?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: My son 9 yrs has had a low grade fever for two days and now has what appears as a canker sore on the tip of his tongue but he says it is itchy. What. Ought it be?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later

It is possible to get low grade fever and mouth ulcers in viral infections.
But as you mentioned correctly it will be painful but not itchy.
So the possibility is that it is related to some allergy to what he ate or drank!
This may include cakes biscuits or anything because even small amount of flavouring agents,colouring agents,preservatives etc can cause allergy.
Some antihistamine like benadryl can be tried.

All the best
God bless
Dr Uma