Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Have family history of heart attack and BP is 124. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 554 Questions
My pressure today is at 140/96 2nd reading was 124/94. Weight is 71kg height 160cm. I'm 38 years old. My dad passed away of heart attach at 69 years of age. My brother 53 years old passed away suddenly 2 weeks back of heart attack. What should I do? I don't want to start of medication.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consider life style measures

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.
First of all let me start with your body weight. You are in pre-obese category and your ideal body weight is 59 kg (Range 49-64 kg). So first of all reduce your body weight.
Now your blood pressure. You are in stage I hypertension range (140-159/90-99 mm Hg). Ideally you must be startled on treatment but if you want you can succumb to the lifestyle modifications....
1) weigh reduction which lowers 5-20 mm Hg/ 10 kg weight loss.
2)Adopt DASH eating plan which you may readily get on internet.
3)Dietary salt to less than 6 g/day.
4) Engage in regular aerobic exercise.
5)Eithe stop drinking or lomit ot <1 drinks per day....

Sine you have got strong family history get yourself tested for lipid profile and baseline cardiac testing including Treadmills and echocardiography and keep in regular touch to cardiologist...

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor