Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Have extremely enlarged prostate. Had TURP and laser treatment. Suggest?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9589 Questions
I am 72 and have a extremly enlarged prostate what is the best procedure to relieve my problems, in 2002 I had TURP and in 2011 I had laser treatment. my doctor is recommending TURP, what is the latest and greatest treatment for BHP, Thanks
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
TURP will be better option.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that in last 10 years you have undergone surgery twice for enlarged prostate.

In any surgery for prostate surgeon resects the adenoma(Benign Tumor) that is developed in prostate and not the entire prostate,hence there are chances of developing adenoma in rest of the gland in future .

You have recurrence third time .It is likely that the size of the adenoma may not be large compared to previous two occasions and the blood vessels are already thrombosed due to previous surgeries. Hence TURP will be technically very easy and less time consuming. I would personally recommend you to get TURP done.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor