Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Have extreme case of ingrown pubic hair. Tried plucking, exfoliating, and Kalo ingrown hair treatment. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 695 Questions
I have an extreme case of ingrown public hair that I've been fighting for about a year, please help!
I've tried soaking in hot water, plucking the hairs, exfoliating, and now Kalo ingrown hair treatment. There is about 20 and they have grown into large pimple-like bumps. This has been an ongoing fight for almost a year, please help!
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 5 hours later

Thanks for writing to Health care magic.

Commonest cause for ingrown hairs is improper shaving. This leaves short hair tips which pierce the skin. Waxing and friction due to tight clothing can worsen the condition.

The best way to prevent ingrown hair is to avoid shaving; but that is not practical. There are many shaving techniques described and I hope you are already following that.

Laser therapy is commonly used treatment now days for ingrown hairs. It has excellent results. Electrolysis can also be used for same purpose; but it is slow and time consuming. Your dermatologist will know about this procedure.

Among medical therapy, topical eflorithine 13.9% is available now a days which prevents hair growth. It can be applied twice daily for 2 to 3 months. I do not recommend anyone starting this topical agent without a prescription.

If you were to be my patient, my suggestion would have been combination therapy - starting initially with lasers and then maintaining on eflorithine cream which has excellent results in ingrown hairs. Consult your nearest dermatologist and discuss about this plan of action.

I hope this can solve your query. In case of any concerns I will be happy to help you.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor