Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

159 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have enlarged spleen and getting burning sensation. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15342 Questions
Hi, my doctor said I my spleen has massively enlarged and I am having a prickly pain and extreme burning sensation. He told me he doesn't know what causes my spleen to enlarged, I am in a bad way don't know what to do please advise.
Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Enlargement of the spleen is called splenomegaly. In alot of cases the spleen enlarges as it does it normal functions.
The normal functions of the spleen are:(1) to remove bacteria and other organisms from the blood (2) to produce certain substances that are used to fight infections (3) to remove abnormal red blood cells

The general causes can be subdivided as follows: (1) inflammatory such as infection of a part of the body resulting in the spleen mounting a response (2)hyperplastic - normally due to removal of abnormal cells from the blood vessels or making new blood cells (3)congestive- basically there is a back of fluid in the spleen that can occur in liver or heart failure or blockage of a blood vessel in the spleen (4)infiltative- some conditions may result in substances infiltrating the spleen (5) infection of the spleen itself
To figure the reason for your splenomegaly different tests may be suggested by your doctor such as :(1) complete blood count and blood smear, this may have been done already to check your haemoglobin level, platelets, white cell count. In some persons all of these may be decreased (2)angiographic tests will assess the blood supply,
(3)A ct will identify any inflammatory changes,calcifications ( calcicum deposits), infarcts (dead tissue in the spleen) or cysts (collection of flluid). It will not be able to distinguish reliably between a non cancerous and cancerous lesion
(4) normally with a good history and examination the above tests will provide a diagnosis, in some cases it is still difficult to determine the exact cause and a biopsy of the spleen may be needed

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have enlarged spleen and getting burning sensation. What should I do? 15 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I had a ct scan which showed I got haemangioma which is non cancerous. I had this for about four years now which had remained the same size. My doctor is not giving me any treatment because he is not sure. I had hydatid check too but it was negative. What is the next step? I am worried about the constant prickly pain and burning sensation in my whole body and having trouble breathing.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 56 minutes later

Hemangioma is the most frequent benign lesion of the spleen can be managed by observation though in some cases splenectomy (removal of the spleen) is done because of the potential for bleeding and small risk of transformation to a more XXXXXXX lesion. Your doctor or you may want to consider speaking to another gastroenterologist for an opinion on this option.

In terms of the burning sensation and pain that you are experiencing, this is called paresthesia and may be due to a number of different causes such as: electrolyte imbalance (such as abnormal calcium levels), low thyroid hormone levels, inadequate nutrition status.To determine the exact cause your doctor will need to take a comprehensive history , examine you and perform investigations based on the results of the history and examination.
Shortness of breath may be due to (1)pain (intense pain can cause this symptom), (2)anemia, (3) disease of the lungs such infections, pneumothorax, collapse, embolism, (4) diseases of the heart such as heart failure with fluid collection in the lungs, angina which is blockage of blood vessels in the heart (5) kidney failure, liver disease and low protein levels can also fluid collection in the lungs with shortness of breath

The reason would be determined by history, examination and appropriate investigations.
Feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have enlarged spleen and getting burning sensation. What should I do? 2 hours later
I am not happy about the way my consultant is handling my case. I feel he is taking too long to come to find out what's really wrong with me and start giving me treatment. Is there any way I can speed it by going private but I don't know how to go about it, because I have been suffering for too long now.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, I don't wish to mislead you in terms of how to see someone else as I do not work within your system, but I believe that you can go back to the GP at your surgery who would have initially referred you and ask for another referral to a different specialist.Alternatively you could also ask your GP for the names of good private physicians that you could see in a private setting.
It would be different for anyone to continue like this for this length of time.

I really hope that everything is resolved as soon as possible
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now