Have elevated liver enzymes. Is consuming alcohol the reason?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, My SGPT is 49.9 and SGOT 40.3 . I try to avoid fried foods and have a good healthy diet in olive oil. However I drink on weekends which gets quite heavy. I was just wondering how much of drinking is a factor for increased SGPT and what measures do I need to take. My age 29. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasad 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Alcohol is a factor... Detailed Answer: Hi, Effects on liver is proportional to the amount of alcohol consumed. If you been binge drinking alcohol as it looks evident on your history, that can be directly responsible for elevated liver enzymes. Besides ungoverned medications (over the counter drugs) as well as weight may be responsible for elevated liver enzymes. If rest of liver function test is normal, borderline elevation of SGPT and SGOT is rarely concerning. You need not be worried. Cut down on the alcohol drinks. A rough marker of safe alcohol is not more than 2 glass of standard wine or it's equivallent and not more than 3-4 glass of standard wine or equivalent on any occasion. Above these limits can be hazardous. Avoid ungoverned medication especially those bought over the counter. Continue the dietary regiment that you have formulated and cut down extra weight through good exercise. A healthy life style can reverse liver function abnormalities (if reversible) in 3-6 weeks. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards