Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

193 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have elevated WBC. Had carcinoma of prostate and had radiation. Are these related?

Answered by
Dr. Jawahar Ticku


Practicing since :1979

Answered : 431 Questions

Posted on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Infections
Question: my WBC is 13 I have no fever or ovious signs of infection that i can acknowledge.I have ITP and take a CBC weekly and aNplate shot.. All my blood work is perfact except the WBC being 13
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Radiation cystitis, Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXX, Thanks for sharing your question through health care magic. This condition of raised blood counts is called leukocytosis. The rise is moderate and could be due to chronic secondary infection of your urinary tract. Since you have suffered from carcinoma of prostate and had radiation for it, it causes radiation mucoscits of the rectum and the lining of the bladder. You may have bleeding per rectum due to the effects of radiation. Further because of the prostatic problem, there could be subacute urinary tract infection due to residual urine in your bladder. And as mentioned earlier, subacute infection causes leococytosis. To prevent rectal bleeding you should use stool softeners so that hard stools don't rub your radiation parched bowel to cause bleeding and you should not be constipated. Possibly keeping your urine alkaline by drinking enough water and using urine alkalinizer. Apropriate antibiotic after culture sensitivity of urine in consultation with your doctor will reduce your cell count. Off course other moderate problems in the body have to be ruled out which give rise to raised cell count .At the same time you should not worry about it as at this level these cells are protectors in your body. Hope your concern is addressed. I will be happy to reply if any other query . Truly, Dr. J. Ticku
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Pneumaturia

doctor1 MD

I have foamy urine. I've been on statins and baby asprin for 5 years. Everything was good. Ive had foamy urine for about a year, and my last blood test was about 4 months ago. Everything was ok. No one told me i had high Ck. but i read online that...

doctor1 MD

after I urinate air follows urination. Like farting through the eurethra. also awful odorus urine.

doctor1 MD

I am 33 year old female. Have been having bladder pain and frequency for over a month now. Painful urination. UTI negative but treated with 7 day course of macrobid . Now the pain has turned into severe urethral pain with pressure prior to and end...

doctor1 MD

Hi my mother has been suffering spells about 1 every 3-4 months where her body is like going into a type of shock. She gets lightheaded and that is followed by severe cold and shaking and no matter what you do you can not warm her up. it last for several hours and she feels really drained and tried for the next 24 hours. anything you may know would help she is 79 years old and i would like to take her something that she may be able to ask about when she sees her doctor next.

doctor1 MD

I suffered with chronic fistula disease about 5 years ago. they were present in my bowel and needed seton loops .. 8 months ago noticed cloudy smelly urine but no pain just a dull ache. Could this be another fistula? Its e coli and had antibiotics which cleared nitrites. My iron in blood was low too. I feel something is wrong but new doc doesnt know my history.

doctor1 MD

Hi doc,
I am a 22 year old female,Past 2 months I have been getting UTI frequently. When I gave my urine for routine test it showed plenty or 15-20 pus cells 2-3 times. But all this times cutlture test didnt detect any. As per my doctor's advise I have done an ultrasound scan and a uroflowmetry test. Everything has been normal and scan result impression was UTI with insignificant post void volume. All my doctor could say after analysing the report was I have got a high capacity bladder of 1 litre and I have to void withing 2 -3 hrs which I am doing regularly even before visiting him. I am drinking almost 4 litres of water everyday. My doctor has now prescribed me Niftran and a citralka syrup. I have taken all these before and despite I have developed the symptomes of UTI again. But doctor asked me to take the same medicine again. Please help me with this

doctor1 MD

hi, i have a sharp n tingling pain at the clitoris point and today i saw that it had the blood traces in the urine too. n also i do not feel like finished with peeing . i have to sit in the toilet for long periods and i pee very little, however it pains whenever i do that. also i feel that i am not able to control my pee anymore and also there is abdominal pain when i walk. what could be the cause for this?