Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Have elevated SGPT level. Is it safe to feed a child?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1444 Questions
I am having SGPT level at 92 after 5 days post my baby birth. Can i feed my baby at this time or should i wait for SGPT level to come down. What is the normal SGPT level in woman after baby birth.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 24 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

I suggest you to go for complete liver function test along with markers.
Isolated elevation of SGPT will not give any specific diagnosis.
SGPT and SGOT are liver enzymes, which are elevated in various conditions like;
-Viral hepatitis.
-Autoimmune hepatitis.
-Cholestatic liver disease.
-Overdose of medicines like acetaminophen
You must have already been investigated during pregnancy.
I advise you to get yourself examined by a physician.

Regarding breastfeeding, elevated SGPT is not a contraindication but I suggest you to wait until diagnosis is made.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any other question I would be glad to help.
Wishing you and your baby good health.
God bless!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor