Have electrical shock sensation on upper chest to breast. Had lumpectomy and radiation. Are these related?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: every now and then I have this electrical shock sensation on my right upper chest down to the breast. Excatly 2 years ago I had a lumpectomy followed by radiation treatment. i was wondering if this is the side effect ? Is this something that needs immediate medical attention. Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into the problem I will like to tell you that yes there exists a possibility that this could be a side effect of radiotherapy . Radiotherapy may damage nerves within the treated area, causing burning , radiating pain and shock senastion. These may develop months or years after treatment. The pain may be felt as sharp and stabbing or as a burning sensation, or it may feel like minor electric shocks. Well there is nothing to worry but if it bothers you can see your treating doctor as he is aware of all your comorbidities and will prescribe the right drug . Take care. Dr. Shruti