Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Have ear infection. Temporary relief by medication. Started getting water filled pimples. Is it follicle infection?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
thanks. i am 60 years old. years ago i had an ear infection that stayed on for a very long time . if i took meds it went away but returned. my doc gave up when it finally quit hurting. then i started gettting little bumps that look like pimples but only filled with water stuff. it itches and they seem to grow and fill. finally they get infected as well. eventually they also go away as others pop up.
My derm says it is infection of the folicles and gave me some cream. this cream doesnt do anything.
i tried the cream for yeast infection and it works on the ones that break. what is this stuff? Is it folicle infection. it used to be mostly on my face but now i have it on my upper arms. just a few at a time. thanks. sorry this is long. i have had this for almost 9 years and it seems to be getting worst. i have researched and found that you can have infection in your blood and it is life ending! my blood tests came back clear a few years ago but i was never checked for thises sores. i am married and i have never had outside of home sex.
please help. i have no insurance until i get on social security and can get medicare. thank you doctor. also: it seems that if i get a lot of them i also get a fever as warmish. it isnt higher than 102 and then it all calms down again. once these finally get a scab and heal they will often reappear in the same spot months later. they appear year around. maybe i dont have enough sunlight? they also leave scars where they were and when they first appear they are just round red and hot and then they become that pimple thing filled with the wter stuff. no one else in the family has it so apparently it isnt catching.
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in .
The condition you are suffering from can be dermatitis herpetiformis, contact dermatitis, bullous pemphigoid.
Also I would like to know-
Are the vesicular lesions small or large?
Itching came first or skin lesions came first?
Which part of the body is affected first?
Do you have any oral ulcers /sores?
Can you upload the photos of the affected area?
Photographs of the affected area can be of great help.
Answer the question and we can continue the discussion here.
Till the time you can take tab.zyrtec twice daily.
Apply cooling soothing lotion like aloe Vera lotion over the area.
Hope this helps .
I will be available for follow up .
Dr Sudarshan
MD dermatology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have ear infection. Temporary relief by medication. Started getting water filled pimples. Is it follicle infection? 7 hours later
thank you for the quick response.

the size.... same as an average pimple. the bump appears, turns red and hot around the area and then breaks (or i pick it). it itches when the fluid like water comes out and it also seems to scald the skin around the area. ( the area where the fluid runs seems to dry and peel).

It first appeared on my chin, then seemed to mostly settle in my eyebrows and forehead. i sometimes have them in my hairline on my head but rarely. i have several my stomach. others are on my upper arms in the shoulder area. Never on my cheeks, nose or other places.

Can i get the zyrtec from the pharmacy or do i need a perscription?

i have no pics but they are just hot swollen bumps, then a white pimple and then they burst or i pick them. out runs the water stuff and it then makes the skin around it peel. the bumps are hot and red before they brak. looks like a chicken pox from when i was a kid in a way.

hope this answers better than i explained it before.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi again,
Thanks for details.
It appears to be dermatitis herpetiformis like condition.
Itchy vesicular lesions resembling chickenpox suits the diagnosis of dermatitis herpetiformis.Oral steroid and gluten free diet can help in DH.
Without a visual clue its not possible to pinpoint the condition.
You can take tab Zyrtec from pharmacy it is not prescription drug.
Any other antiallergic tablet like benadryl can be taken for itching.
Apply aloe vera lotion twice a day.Use tea tree oil containing soap for bathing.
Avoid any new cosmetic/clothing/food stuffs.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor