Have ear infection. Taking ciprodex drops for ruptured eardrum. How long will it take to get cure?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,
Three days ago I was diagnosed with a bad ear infection. My doctor put me on z-pack. That night I had severe pain and yellow drainage from my ear. I called my doctor and he said I had ruptured my eardrum and prescribed ciprodex drops. My question is how long should the drainage continue and how long does it usually take for an eardrum to heal. Any precautions during the healing process?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
A ruptured ear drum due to infection usually heals spontaneously after the infection is adequately controlled. It usually heals in 2 weeks after the drainage from the ear stops completely. You need to continue with the antibiotics and see if the discharge stops in next 5-7 days.
Follow these lifestyle modifications:
1.) Keep your ear dry while it's healing, Place a silicone earplug or cotton ball coated with petroleum jelly in your ear when showering or bathing.
2.) Refrain from cleaning your ears.
3.) Avoid blowing your nose.
4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.