Have dry throat, inflamed sinuses and sticky sensation. Feeling anxious. What could it be?

Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Almost 5 weeks have passed and several visits to several doctors including internist, allergist, and ENT specialist-and using this site. Here are the symptoms and, I hope, more detailed observations that may help. I also have a few questions. Uvula is still a little long and gelatinous looking. Mouth and throat tend to get quite dry, especially in the evening and overnight. My tongue seems to have lost its groove(the central line down the middle)-possibly why the uvula is a little more irritating too as it is "not fitting" properly. (could this be more of the problem?) My sinuses are still a little inflamed but clear up in fresh cool air. I am clearing my throat often-most times little phlegm comes up Feels like nasal drip down the back of the throat but could just be uvula feeling like that as I swallow. I have steadily lost weight for the last 5 weeks. Apetite is low and not my usual ravenous self and sex drive is extremely low. Sometimes it also feels like mental fogginess. I get anxiety-generally due to these symptoms and not knowing. I am very sensitive in my body. ENT here thinks its GERD (possibly due to a very mild sleep apnea and weakened uvula from snoring - and suggested ablation. I have never had reflux and nothing in my very sensitive reading of my body tells me I have any symptoms or feelings of reflux. (I drink some gaviscon before bed and sleep a little elevated-just to see if that changes anything-no change yet) I don't really want to cut out body parts. INTERNIST thought it was allergies and suggested antihistamines and a nasal corticosteroid DOCTORS thought it was an infection-not strep ALLERGIST thought it may be from allergies listed in profile-did throat swabs for bacteria and viruses -both negative. During the day I am functioning well-good energy. During the night, I sleep well, though I wake up before my usual 7 hours with a dry mouth and what feels like a sticky sensation behind my soft palette. Energy levels are great. I never wake up tired even after only 5 hours of sleep. Could it be oral thrush(candida)? even though I do not have lesions in my mouth? some of the symptoms point to that. Is there more home remedy things that I can do? What else over the counter can I try? Is there a way to re-train the tongue to increase the depth of the central groove? Many thanks for your attention
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 10 days later
Brief Answer: Steam, PPI, mucolytics, nasal coricosteroids Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. There is no groove which is anatomically there in the central tongue which is there for parking uvula. So do not worry about that. A long uvula with gelatinous character (due to edematous mucosa) can be and should be chopped off in symptomatic patients. The symptoms can be both of irritation/foreign body sensation and/or sleep apnoea. This does not involve a big procedure and is a trivial procedure done under local anaesthesia and a description of chopping the body parts can't be applied to it (in my point of view). Patient is absolutely comfortable after this. Please get yourself examined by ENT (if not already) to rule out nasal obstruction because mouth breathing is a common cause of dry mouth. Otherwise antihistaminics should be used minimally in patients who have dry mouth feeling. Use of a mucolytic will help in dry mouth feeling also and also in clearing your sinuses better and the post nasal drip also. (hope these are available over the counter). Taking hot water steam will also help. Nasal corticosteroids also help in this. So in nut shell, my prescription will be: 1. Steam inhalation 2. Proton pump inhibitors 3. Mucolytics 4. Nasal corticosteroids 5. Anxiolytic- for few days and - partial uvulectomy under local anaesthesia. I hope all these are available over the counter. But anxiolytics should always be used in consultation with doctor. Oral thrush should not be suspected if there are no visible lesions in otherwise immuno-competent individuals. So, need not take anything for that. Home remedies- Hot water steam, avoiding the allergen you know of, relaxation exercises/yoga, avoiding oily/spicy foods and hot fluid sips (you need to avoid coffee). Please feel free to ask another query. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad