Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

159 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have dry throat and enlarged taste buds. Not cured by nasal spray and allergy tablets. Any cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2360 Questions
Hi, I have had a dry spot in the back of my throat for five months after a bout of the flu, I also had the same thing occur last year, also after a bad cold. It started off as an extremely dry throat and enlarged taste buds, gp's have prescribed dry mouth treatments, nasal spray and also allergy tablets (zertec) the alergy tablets have assisted slightly, but dry feeling has still not left.
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms described by you seem to be the features of allergic rhinosinusitis.

Allergic rhinitis is a common condition characterized by an immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated inflammation of the nasal mucosa following exposure to allergens.

During allergic rhinitis or an attack of flu there is inflammation of the nasal mucosa causing blockage of the sinus openings leading to accumulation of the nasal secretions in the sinus. Also, there is trickling of the nasal secretions behind the throat causes throat discomfort and cough.

The dryness in the throat is due to the nasal block. When there is congestion of the nose, one tends to breathe through the mouth. Mouth breathing drains out all the water content from the mucosa of the throat making it dry. Also, antihistaminics (such as cetrizine) taken during an attack of flu can further worsen the dryness.

Hence, appropriate measures have to be taken to control this problem.

My advice to you is:
1. To use steroid (such as Momentasone/ Fluticasone) nasal spray once a day, this will reduce the nasal allergy and other related problems.
2. To use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day, this will help in opening of the sinuses and easy clearance of the sinus secretions.
3. An antihistaminic such as fexofenadine/cetrizine/loratidine has to be taken only during allergic episodes.
4. To drink plenty of warm water and to avoid chilled food & beverages/alcohol/smoking/coffee.
5. To cover the nose and mouth with a clean cloth (or wear a mask) when exposed to dust or smoke.
6. Consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough examination and further management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have dry throat and enlarged taste buds. Not cured by nasal spray and allergy tablets. Any cure? 16 minutes later
Thank you Dr for your reply I have also been prescribed omnaris (ciclesonide) spray I assume this is a steriod spray, this has eased the dryness, but not stopped the drip will the saline and steam treatments help in getting the drip to stop running down my throat, and out of the nasal passage again? (I have has sinus all my life until the past two years where my nose is clear)
Thank you again for you time and knowledge.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back

Yes, Ciclesonide is a glucocorticoid, better than that is fluticasone proprionate. You can use 2 puffs a day in the morning. Secondly, drink plenty of warm water and also use saline spray, it will be definitely beneficial.

There is no cure for allergy, only the preventive measures when followed can give you relief from this problem.
1. When exposed to dust or smoke cover your nose with a clean handkerchief.
2. Avoid sleeping under the fan or in front of the air conditioner.
3. Change the pillow cover every night before going to bed.

Also, you can try a short course of oral steroids, this helps in reducing the post nasal drip.

Hope this clarifies your doubts; I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist