Have dry skin with swelling and irritation around mouth. Diagnosed with lip dermatitis. Any advice?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: Hi,

I have inflammation around my mouth especially in the edges just below my nose and above my dimple. The other areas are fine. The edges swell with mild irritation and the upper layer of the skin later peels off but without any infection or blister. A dermatolagist put me on Vitamins, omega3, antoxids, fatty acids, Kojivit Cream, Lapari lotion and cosmelite cream in the order of prescription. But nothing worked but for the topical application of cosmelite. The rashes and inflammation resurface whe I stop using cosmelite. But since it is a steroid my doctor stopped me from using it for more than a month. All my blood tests, sugar, urine culture have returned normal but for my haemoglobin level which stays at 12. I have a very dry skin from my childhood. Am a female of 28 yrs of age, single. Kindly suggest what kind of treatment should I follow. The condition is there for more than 4 months and still no solution. My dermatologist says it is lip dermatitis and will take a long time to subside. Please advise

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 4 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

The symptoms that you have mentioned are of dermatitis.
Dermatitis is inflammation of the skin however, dermatitis is a broad term and can be caused by a number of causes.

One of the causes of dermatitis is dietary deficiency of vitamins.
The medication that you are taking will take care of the vitamin deficency.

Symtomatic relief for dryness, itching and irritation will be provided by topical applicants.
Emollients will relieve the dryness and itching.
Anti-pruiritic will relieve the itching.
Occlusive bandage and behavioral changes will help to prevent repeated scratching and rubbing.
Topical steroids will provide symtomatic relief but the symtoms will re-appear after the usage is stopped.

There are various causes of similar symtoms like psoriases, para-psoriasis etc.
A skin biopsy is needed to know the disease process going on for the intractable symptoms.

Consult your dermatologist for skin biopsy, other required investigationa and further management.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr Shailja p Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan