Have dry skin. Get dirt built up after applying oil leaving skin dark and dimpled. What to do?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi there, I have extremely dry skin and hence I need to mositurize it atleast 2 times a day. Sometimes even after that my skin becomes dry and flaky. But the problem is that after heavy mositurizing (sometimes with oil), I seem to have dirt built up left over on my skin. Even after I shower when I scratch my skin I see black dirt in my nails. Also this leaves my skin dark and dimpled especially in my thigh and buttock areas. Can you please help.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 24 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for the query, Your skin appears to be unusually dry. It is quiet uncommon at this age. Please get your thyroid levels checked. Excessive dryness is seen in hypothyroidsm. If possible let me know the results. I could guide you further with that. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 22 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX My skin is dry since my childhood. In fact as I grew it has improved from before. Also I had done the thyroid test a few days ago and everything was within normal range. Thanks, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the clarification and sorry for replying late. its good that your thyroid level is normal. Few people have genetically inherent dry skin. You can use a long lasting moisturiser like cetaphil dam. Ammonium lactate containing moisturiser is also a good option. These are less sticky and once you apply they last for entire day. Let me know if you have any other doubts. thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 17 hours later
Thanks Doctor... I will try those moisturisers... Where can I find them? Are they avaliable in any pharmacy stores? Also do you know any moisturisers that have Ammonium lactate?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up. Yes you can get these moisturiser from any shop. Amylac is a moisturiser containing ammonium lactate. Let me know if you have other doubts. Thank you