Owl Image

Have dry skin. Any effective cream to get rid of pigmentation around lips?

Good

Dermatologist
Question
Hi doctor, I just completed 23 yrs. I have little XXXXXXX on my face on the skin near the corners of the lips & also a little below the lips. Mine is a dry skin. Can you please suggest me a good cream to get rid of this?
Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Pigmentation Problems

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 32 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
The pigmentation around lips and mouth is known as perioral pigmentation. Usually the cause is unknown, sometimes sun light, dry skin, cosmetics, toothpaste etc can be implicated for the same.

To treat the same, using a hydro quinone, steroid and retinoid based triple combination cream like skinlite or melalite XL might be helpful. This a strong pigmentation reducing cream and shouldn't be used beyond a month. If any kind of redness or irritation occurs with the cream, its application should be withheld.
As this a prescription based cream, I would encourage you to consult a dermatologist nearby too.
Dry skin can also make pigmentation more prominent. Use a mild face wash and a moisturising lotion. Using cetaphil cleansing lotion and moisturising lotion would be of immense help. Also do not forget to use a good sunscreen of SPF at least 30.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be any doubts, I would be happy to assist you.