Have dry mouth, swelling in armpit, night sweats and getting metallic taste. What's going on?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: I have dry mouth at night, furry tongue, metallic taste, swelling in armpit , night sweats and slightly raised platelets. What are these the symptions of ?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

This symptomatology can be related to a lot of conditions and not a few. I would like to enquire about your medicines first. The side effects of them are typical when you have unstable bladder.

Let me know soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
I take no medication; I've had 3 TURPs over a period of year or so, the last being some 2 years ago. My specialist says that my prostrate is clear- or at least at that time it was but that I had an unstable bladder. I was prescribed Vesicae tablets but have not taken them. The frequent urinating has been going for a number of years. The symptoms that I originally posted are recent (dry mouth etc,), but I’ve had less frequent night sweats for some time. When I reported my dry mouth and furry tongue to my GP recently, she had some blood tests done and said that there was no sign of diabetes, but that my blood platelets were high and arranged for further blood tests in January. She did not explain the reason for this and said that she did not know the reason for my mouth problem. But since that visit I have found the swelling under my left armpit and realised that the night sweats were more frequent and developed an intermittent whole body itch mostly when indoors at home when the heating is on.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 19 hours later

Since there is no drug usage here, I would consider infection of the lymph node as next possibility and then a tumor of the lymph node. It would be good if you can write down the platelet count and other counts as well.

You need to closely watch the swelling under the arm pit, if it is mobile or fixed, hard or soft, painful or painless. Any suspicion should drive for a biopsy of the lymph node under the armpit. Consider getting an Xray Chest, Ultrasound Abdomen, Complete blood counts, lymph node, liver and spleen examination as well before biopsy. Your GP can do this for you before your tests in January. You can consider repetition of the platelet count before further tests in January. This can help in establishing a diagnosis.

Thank you.