Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Have dried nerve in ear. Prescribed neuromet for hearing loss. Should I go for hearing aid?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2347 Questions
my mother in law's hearing capability decreasing gradually day by day and and she is having a constant sound in her right ear. doctor prescribed her neuromet and absolut 3g . Doctor told her nerve in the ear has been dried up, should she go for hearing aid ? Or what do you suggest ?
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

The human hearing reduces as the age progress due to various reasons, nerve weakness is one among them.

Age related Sensorineural hearing loss is common after the age of 60. Both the male and female population are equally predisposed for this problem. It is one of common age related changes that happens in the human body. Most of the people who suffer from this problem will have reduced hearing and tinnitus (noise in the ear) with or without dizziness.

Hearing aid is planned depending upon the amount of hearing loss. Hence a pure tone audiometry is required to assess the amount of hearing loss. If the audiometry shows a substantial amount of neural damage, it is advisable to go for a hearing aid.

The earlier a person starts using the hearing aid the sooner they can prevent worsening of hearing. Apart from that, there are various advanced hearing aids which can be programmed according to the frequency changes, hence giving the reciepient a near normal hearing. Also, the hearing aids can be completely placed inside the canal which can be hardly noticed by anyone.

My suggestion to you is to get an audiometric evaluation done at the earliest and consult a good ENT specialist. If there is any sensorineural hearing loss, you can definitely try programmable hearing aids, it's worth the effort.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor