Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Have down syndrome with irregular period. Any possible treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 828 Questions
I have a Down Syndrome daughter was has had a period for 7 weeks I am very worried as it seems to be getting worse. Please can you advice me what to do because it will be very hard to exanin her thank you
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Genetics
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 45 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

Down’s syndrome patients experience some kind of menstrual disorder - heavy, painful, scanty, non-existent, or irregular menstrual flow. This is due to hormonal imbalance which is more likely in genetic disorder.

I recommend you to
1. Get her hormonal levels checked as she needs hormones to regularize her cycles.
2. Get her Hemoglobin levels checked as bleeding for long time could lead to anemia.
3. BMI of 18-24 is ideal. Maintain her physical fitness. As overweight or underweight could lead to menstrual abnormality.
4. Symptomatic treatment for excess menstrual flow till hormonal therapy is started.

One good thing is - once the menses are established, usually within the first 6-18 months of menarche most adolescents with Down’s syndrome have regular periods.
So be positive.

Hope I have cleared all your doubts. Let me know anytime if you have any further clarifications.

Dr Nilofer
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have down syndrome with irregular period. Any possible treatment? 46 minutes later
Thank you and I will go to the GP and follow your advice I feel a lot better now thank you.
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 9 minutes later
Thanks for your reply.

Let me know anytime if you have any more queries at this link.

My good wishes with you.

Dr Nilofer
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Genetics Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor