Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Have double uterus. Can I get pregnant while I am already pregnant in other uterus?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 828 Questions
I would like to know if there is such a thing as a doctor that specializes only in Double uteris. If I have a double uteris does that mean the baby only stays to one side. And can I get pregnant while I'm already pregnant on the other uteris.
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 24 minutes later

Thanks for your query and welcome to health care magic.

Double uterus is called bicornuate uterus in medical terms.
Bicornuate uterus contains two horns and is heart shaped.
As the baby grows it occupies whole of one horn and compresses other horn completely.
There is no chance for other fetus to grow in another horn since there is no ovulation once pregnancy is achieved.

Reproductive medicine specialists are well versed in dealing with bicornuate uterus cases.

Hope all your doubts are clear. You can write to me anytime for further clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have double uterus. Can I get pregnant while I am already pregnant in other uterus? 11 minutes later
One more question Can I fly being nine months pregnant. It would be a 45 min flight.
What are the chances of given natural birth. With a double uteris.
And any OBGYN can take care of me and deliver the baby.
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 30 minutes later
Thanks for your reply.

You cannot fly when you are 9 months pregnant .
You need special written permission from your Gynecologist which has to be shown at airport.
20% of women with bicornuate uterus deliver normally.
Any experienced Obstetrician can take care of you and deliver your baby.

Wish you good luck,
Dr Nilofer
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor