Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Have done with Echo test. Result showed mild RA dilation. What are the findings?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14878 Questions
hi . I m 42 years old . Got my 2 D echo done today . EF =60% it shows MILD RA/RVdilatation, XXXXXXX RV contraction. MILD TR. MILD PAH . PASP by TR Jet =38mm hg. what does it mean
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 38 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

EF stands for ejection fraction. This is the fraction or amount of blood pumped out of the heart each time it contracts or beats. The normal range is 55% to 70%. Your value is in the normal range which means your heart is pumping enough blood.

The heart is divided into the right and left side. Each side has two parts. The right side has a right atrium and right ventricle and the left side has a left atrium and left ventricle.

Blood from your body that needs more oxygen comes into the right atrium goes into the right ventricle and the right ventricle sends it to the lungs to get oxygen.There are valves between the right atrium and right ventricle that only allow the blood to flow from the atrium to ventricle.
After it has received enough oxygen then it goes to the left side of the heart and the left side then sends it out to the body.There are also valves in the left side that only allow blood to flow from the atrium to ventricle.

Mild RA (right atrium)/ RV (right ventricle ) dilatation- this means that they are mildly enlarged. This can occur if there is any history of problems with the lungs,congential heart disease or any problems with the valves between the atrium and ventricle.
The echo goes on to say that the right ventricle is contracting or beating normally which means that the increased size has not affected it so far.

Mild TR (tricuspid regurgitation)- I mentioned about the valve on the right side that only allows blood to flow from the atrium to ventricle .The name of the valve is tricuspid valve.
Tricuspid regurgitation means that it is allowing blood to go from the right ventricle to the right atrium.
This is likely as a result of the mild enlargement of the right atrium and ventricle. If mild will not cause any problems

Mild PAH (pulmonary hypertension)- this means the pressure in the lungs is a little high and this increase in pressure is likely the lung condition that is causing the enlargement on the right side of the heart.

PASP (pulmonary artery systolic pressure) - this is the pressure in the blood vessels in the lungs. Normally it should be lower than 30, in obese persons or older persons the upper limit is 40mmHg.
Your value is high for your age but is in keeping with the diagnosis stated earlier of pulmonary hypertension.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have done with Echo test. Result showed mild RA dilation. What are the findings? 16 hours later
Dear Dr. Thanks for your explaination , what is the treatment ,precautions I need to take so that this does not detorirate any further
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later

I am not sure what the doctors would have stated was the cause of your pulmonary hypertension. It can be related to a (1) previous pulmonary embolism which is a blockage of blood vessel in the lungs (2) congenital heart disease (3) some infections of the lungs (4) side effect of medication (5) liver disease (6) changes in blood vessels of the lungs due to other chronic conditions

In terms of treatment and precautions: Depending on how much is is affecting you there are medications that can be used to increase the blood flow in the lungs

Treating the cause

There are no home treatments or lifestyle changes that would be helpful

Please feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor