Have done urine test during pregnancy for UTI. What are the findings?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: I have done my urine test in the 7th month of my pregnancy. The reports are as below. Is this normal?
Appearance: Slightly turbid
Leucocytes: 3+
Pus Cells: 12-15/hpf
Epithelial cells: 5-6/hpf
Answered by Dr. Prasad 44 minutes later

The report suggest possible urinary tract infection. I think you will need a urine culture and sensitivity test to confirm the type of infection and it's appropriate treatment of choice. Plan further test after discussion with your gynecologist.

In the meanwhile, I suggest you to drink plenty of water. Urine alkalizer such as sodium citrate can be used if you have burning sensation while passing urine. In India Sodium citrate is available in the name of Syp. Citralka; you can mix a teaspoon in a plain glass of water or any fruit juice and taken thrice a day.

Cranberries can also be helpful in treating infection.

Since you are 7 month's pregnant, it is advisable that you do not neglect this infection. Consult your gynecologist and plan the right treatment based on culture reports.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarification.