Have done follicular study. Diagonised with PCOD. Taking gestofit. Continue with this as i am pregnant?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hi Doc,
After follicular study, my doctor asked me to use GESTOFIT frm 14thday of my cycle, after 18thday she tested me for pregnency and written as negative, on same day i gone with US Pelvis scan.On same day my Doctor suggested me to use Tablet Loette for 21 days. I used it for 21 days without any miss, now after a month of stopping Loette, yesterday i went to general check up and got scanned and found that I am 9 weeks pregnent. Please suggest me by taking Loette without knowing im pregnent will it cause any harm to the baby inside as Loette is called as a abortion pill or birth control. Also for information, im using Thyroid tablets for last 7 months as even im daigniosed with PCOD.

Awaiting for your reply.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

I have read your query & I understand your concerns.

Ideally, Loette should not be used when you are pregnant. Since this was accidental, now I advice you not to worry.

Using loette during pregnancy may not lead to problem in every woman and not a matter of concern. It contains a combination of estrogen and progesterone.

Loette which is used for abortion contains mainly progesterone and in high dosage. But at this gestational age of 9 weeks you dont have to worry about abortion chances.

I advice you to under go 2 essential ultrasound examination to remove your worry:

1) Ultrasound at about 12 weeks gestation to know NT ( nuchal Thickness) scan.

2) Anomaly scan at 20 weeks. This helps in detecting any possible congenital malformations.

Please continue with your thyroid medication. PCOD is not a matter of concern as you are pregnant now.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.