Have dizzy spell after hitting head. Have had Chronic Spinal Stenosis and lumbar operations. Any idea?

Dr. Krishna Kumar

Spine Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: Over a month ago, I had a bad reaction to a drug, and while I was in the kitchen, I passed out and hit my head on cupboard doors and split my head open and I my bladder let go. I do have Chronic Spinal Stenosis, have had to lumbar operations, and cervical. I was also told I may have Adhesive Arachnoiditis. Fibromyalgia, and Arthritis I did go to the emergency room and had a CT done, and 10 staples in my head, however, even after I had done all the right things, I have dizzy spells when I lay down...where my eyes are moving back and forth...should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 7 hours later
Thank you for your query.

I understand you had undergone multiple spine surgeries.

You had a CT in the emergency room, but you are still symptomatic. In these situations although your initial CT was normal, we would require a repeat CT to make sure that your brain is OK.

In some situation changes do occur after some time such as minor bleeding/clot etc.

So please go ahead and do a repeat CT.

Let me know if you have more concerns.

Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E