Have dilated pores on scrotum and dry skin on face. Could it be pityriasis rosea?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have always had a few dilated pores on my testis, but recently some of these have grown slightly in size on my left scrotum. They seem to be clogged pores or ingrown hairs.

In addition to this a few months ago a small herald patch of dry skin appeared on my face just to the side of the nose. I went to the pharmacy and they gave me a cream for eczema, which made it worse and irritated the skin. The patch came and went, became much milder and after a few weeks a somewhat triangular rash appeared on my chest just over the region of the sternum, where the skin has a few localised points of red dry skin.

I have cut down on smoking, imagining that it might be smoke related. But to no avail. I have a very busy and stressful life, but am now on holiday, and that doesn't seem to have any effect at all. Having done some basic research on the web the rash on the face and chest looks like images i've seen of pityriasis rosea or rosacea, only perhaps much milder in my case, and at times it's almost gone.

The 'dilated pores' on the skin of the left scrotum though i don't shave looks like images i've seen of bumps from shaving or severely ingrown hairs, but worse in my case it seems to me, as some of the 'pores' are about 2-3 milimetres in diameter. No pain is involved in any of the symptoms above.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
The condition you are describing can be pityriasis roasea, nummular /xerotic eczema etc.
The scrotal lesions can be LSC, angiokeratoma etc.
Also I would like to know-
Since when you have this?
Does it improve on its own or after some application?
Is it more is summer or winter?
Do the scrotal lesions ever bleed?
Can you upload the photographs of affected area?
Photos of the affected area can help alot in predicting the condition.
Upload the photographs and answer the questiona and we can continue the discussion here.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up .
Dr Sudarshan
MD dermatologist