Have diavatuculitist. Is Metrogyl 400 the same as Flagyl 400?

Dr. Enrique Molina

Posted on Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is Metrogyl 400 the same as Flagyl 400. I have diavatuculitist (?) and was treated with Metrogyl400. I have the same symptoms now and have some Flagyl tablets that my GP gave me to keep in case I had an attack of this. It is still current and unopened. I have a repeat for the Metrogyl 400 and can get this filled, but as I live in the country i would need to travel to get it filled. Can I use the Flagyl instead?
Thanks XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 19 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
I am sorry to hear that you are having similar symptoms again. Yes Metrogyl is the same as Flagyl. The actual generic medication name is Metronidazole. All the same.
I want to mention that having repeat episodes of diverticulitis is risky, in terms of getting complications. You have increased chances of getting an abdominal abscess (infected pus cavity inside your belly), perforated bowel (even worse than an abscess! which requires emergency surgery), etc. I recommend a follow up with your primary care doctor, and possibly a team approach with a gastroenterologist and colorectal surgeon. You may need to get a colonoscopy if you haven't had one recently. And the surgon will discuss the possibility of an elective surgery to remove the piece of colon that is causing issues.
Hope that answers your question. Let me know if you have further questions.
Best regards,