Have diabetes, frequent black outs and high BP. Can I take pace maker while taking flight?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Is it more XXXXXXX for a heart patient to fly with a pacemaker/defibrillator than anybody else? I am very anxious at 30,000 feet without help available. Should I take the train or drive instead? I am diabetic and have infrequent black outs. I have high blood pressure and I am 70 years old.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: No restriction in flying with these machines. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX There is no restriction in flying with these machines, but you should inform your cardiologist and get his/her consent. You can also discuss about things to do in acute emergency. At the airport you should inform security agencies about your device so that special care is provided to you. Generally security detectors are safe in nature and you should convince security agencies to avoid hand held wand. If it is not possible and security checking is done by hand held wand then it shouldn't be placed over machine area for more than few seconds because these hand held wands contain strong magnets and it can interfere with functioning of machines. You should take regular medicines on the day of flying. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX